Looking ahead: World-shaping events to watch in 2019
The new year is already off to a flying start!
Jan 9, 2019
As we have heard time and again from our clients, forward-planning is essential to maintaining a competitive edge.
To help you start the year off right, we’ve compiled a list of world-shaping events to watch in 2019.
January | February | March
- January 1: #MeToo-inspired employment laws take effect in California
These include the STAND (Stand Together Against Non-Disclosure) Act, which prohibits non-disclosure clauses in settlement agreements involving sexual assault, sexual harassment, or sex discrimination.
- January 22-25: Annual meeting of World Economic Forum in Davos
The world’s business and political elite gather for the WEF annual meeting in the Swiss resort town of Davos.
- January 24: Sundance Film Festival With over 46,660 attendees in 2016, it is the largest independent film festival in the United States.
- February 15: Kenyan landmark case to legalize gay sex continues
Kenyan court to rule in case seeking to decriminalize consensual sex between same sex adults. The law against gay sex in Kenya was introduced more during British rule
- March 2: Carnival in Rio de Janeiro Dating back to 1723, is considered the biggest carnival in the world
- March 29: Brexit Day?
Britain to leave the European Union at 2300 GMT on March 29.
April | May | June
- April 15: The Shanghai Auto Show showcases the latest vehicles for the world’s largest auto market
The Shanghai auto show press days begin April 16. Global and Chinese domestic automakers will try to reignite growth in the world’s largest car market with new models, and previews of electric and autonomous vehicles. Trade tensions with the U.S. could hang over the gathering.
- April 26: White House Correspondents’ Association Dinner
American biographer of U.S. presidents Ron Chernow delivers keynote address at 2019 White House Correspondents Association Dinner.
- April 30: Facebook Developer Conference Mostly intended for developers and entrepreneurs, Facebook Developer Conference is one of the annual technology events of the year.
- May/June: United States Supreme Court cases Cases will be issued on Mondays and throughout the last week of the 2018-19 term in June. These will include anti-trust case Apple v. Pepper, the Timbs v. Indiana case on whether the excessive fines clause applies to states, and the death penalty case Madison v. Alabama.
- May 14-18: Tel Aviv gears up for Eurovision Song Contest
Eurovision Song Contest expected to take place in Tel Aviv May 14-18
July | August | September
- July 18: 2019 Comic-Con International: San Diego Over the years, Comic-Con has grown from a small gathering of comics, movie, and science fiction fans to a multi-billion dollar industry. The appeal for the event is such that it has reportedly been seen as a major marketing platform for Hollywood, with film studios and TV networks using it as an opportunity to plug their upcoming shows.
- August 27: 76th Venice International Film Festival opens – Venice Lido
The 76th Venice International Film Festival opens in Venice Lido, Italy.
- August 28: G7 summit takes place in Biarritz in South West France
Group of Seven summit takes place in France in the town of Biarritz situated in the Basque country in south west France from August 25th to 27th.
- September 8-12: 73rd Congress of the International Fiscal Association (IFA)
IFA 2019 in London will bring together leading tax experts from governments, corporations, academia, and advisors from across the globe. The discussions will focus on both technical issues and practical matters faced by all those involved in making the international tax system work.
- September 9: Auto industry executives gather for the Frankfurt Auto Show
This year, Germany’s automakers could gather under a cloud of a growing anti-diesel, anti-petrol backlash, and possibly continued trade tensions with the Trump administration. The costs of electrification and automated vehicles could spur more alliance talks.
October | November | December
- October 27: Diwali Festival 2019: the Hindu festival of lights which indicates the triumph of light over darkness, of good over evil.
- October 11: 2019 Nobel Peace Prize is announced
The laureate of the 2019 Nobel Peace Prize is announced at the Norwegian Nobel Institute in Oslo.
- November 10: Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Leaders week in Santiago
Heads of state from participants in the year-long Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) forum gather for final meeting. CEO Summit also Nov. 14-16.
Planning your 2019 events coverage? Reuters Connect, our award-winning content marketplace, gives you the power to stay ahead.
Our planning tool helps you manage multiple events every single day. You’ll know exactly what type of content you can expect from us for upcoming events we plan to cover. Practical and smart features such as subscribing to event updates keep you updated, so you can plan efficiently around your people and budget.